7/5/06

Been busy lately

Sorry I've been somewhat MIA for the past couple weeks. One of my sisters has been here visiting, and the other one comes in town this saturday (they are 16 and 13). It's been a blast having my sister around, but I havn't been online much. They'll be here most the summer (through the first week or so of August).

Also, I am trying to find a job to keep my CNA certifications up. I need 200 paid hours by december, or I loose my certification. I am really hoping for a particular job, we'll see --- keep your fingers crossed for me!

Yesterday being the Fourth of July, the USA's Independance Day, brought back many memories. One in particular ... from when I was 10 or so, and we were living overseas in Singapore. It was our only overseas July 4th, since we returned to the US for homeleave every summer after that.

I had to go to school that day, just like every other day in my year-round school. As required, school began with us all gathering in lines on the field to sing the Singapore national anthom and pledge to their flag. That day I felt so homesick, and I mouthed MY pledge of alligience to the US flag, and mouthed the words to the Star Spangled Banner. I hummed patriotic songs the rest of the day, then I cried myself to sleep that night, because there had been no fireworks - and the world out my window didn't even know it was a special day.

I loved living in Singapore, and adored living overseas. I had such wonderful experiences with all our overseas moves, and would go back in a heartbeat. But there is still nothing like a good ole American fourth of July ... burgers, corn on the cob, apple pie, watermellon - with seed spitting contests of course; belting out the Star Spangled Banner, then laughing because we all howl "play ball" after it ends. Then the fireworks and sparklers with the loud Kabooms and the sky lighting up with sparkling colors. And the flag waving everywhere - Old Glory, with her beauty and grace.

And most of all, I love those people who made the fourth of July what it is --- Our forefathers who signed the Decleration of Independance, to the service men and women, and their families, who have volenteered their lives to protect what we have ... to protect the freedoms we enjoy, and put themselves in danger to fight for every American. They are Heros. Thank you.


1 comment:

QueenMeadow said...

I always love reading your blog. You have a wonderful outlook on life. Good luck on getting the job you want!