8/20/08

We had babies!

Our bunny "Sunflower" just had 5 little babies!!!  First time mothers usually are clueless, and loose their first litter, but Sunflower has nested, lined her nest with the soft fur she yanked from her stomach, and has even already fed the babies (they have little rounded bellies!)

I'm so excited.  I'm trying not to stress her out at all, but in a little while, I'll get some pictures!!!

For those that didn't know, a rabbit's gestational period is 31 days, give or take a day.  TODAY was her due date.  Last night we noticed her nesting like crazy, pulling her fur, arrainging it, pulling more fur, rearrainging the fluff, sitting on it, adjusting it, pulling more fluff ... over and over.  It was so comical and cute! 

Pictures: Sunflower nesting last night, yanking off her soft hair, carrying it around in her mouth, trying to decide where to build her nest (we got her a nest box quickly!)



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sunflower today, after yanking her soft hair out for her nest. Compare with last night's pictures ... she looks like we shaved her! I hope it grows back okay - she had the text-book perfect fur for a double-maned lionhead.


Photobucket

The nestbox. This is what I saw when I went to check on her. I thought "Still no babies.", but then the fur started wiggling ...

Photobucket

Photobucket

The babies:

Photobucket

They are such wrinkly little things. Kinda UGLY, but actually so cute!

Photobucket

I'm going to try to take a baby picture daily - they change so quickly, and I want to capture it - I'll post them each day so you can see them too!

1 comment: