2/21/06

RSV ....

Just the thought of those three letters envoke fear and terror into the heart of any parent who's been through the NICU. It was, for a long time, a "bad word" in our household. Perhaps if we didn't speak of it, it wouldn't come into our life. And we were able to avoid it, despite some individuals who took health for granted. Thanks to our peditritian and wonderful insurance, Princess was given 6 months of Synagis shots after she was weaned off her oxygen, and while we didn't do the shots a second year, we were very, very cautious with a newborn on oxygen and our tender Princess.

Well, after almost 2 weeks of night-wakings, my girls "colds" have gotten so bad that they can't breathe through the coughing fits ... instead they wheeze and choke, then cough more. Every time they cough, I hold my breath, willing them to breathe. Last night DH and I averaged 45 minutes of total sleep ... and DH does *NOT* do well with little sleep. I thought he might just drive away at 3:30 this morning, run away and never come back. Our babies were miserable, and we ALL needed sleep.

I am so greatful for the advances that have been made in the medical world. The medications available - something as simple as cough suppressant, not to mention albuterol! My girls have been asleep for 2 hours now, and havn't yet wheezed or gasped for breath since their dose of meds at bedtime. The albuterol is working wonders so far.

My little girls are sleeping a deep and peaceful slumber - their little fists snuggled soundly at their faces, the blankets tucked gently, and their faces completely relaxed. Tonight, I can feel the angels watching over them. Sleep little ones, sleep.

And now it is my turn. Sleep momma. sleep.

4 comments:

Lee said...

I am so sorry your girls have RSV. I am all teary eyed. It is awful to watch your children suffer and know they are struggling. I hope that they recover soon. Lots of prayers coming your way!!

Rachelle said...

I am so sorry for you and your girls! I hope you get some sleep and I hope the illness leaves your family soon! Sick kids are hard and it breaks your heart to watch them so sick. And I get really upset with others who take their sick kids everywhere and get mine sick.

QueenMeadow said...

I'm sorry about the RSV, that really really bites! Xopenex was our hero for many a moon. Here's hoping their little lungs mature and they (and you) wont have to go through this much longer!

emlouisa said...

As another NICU mom I hear you about RSV. I hear the word and I cringe. I am so so sorry that your girls have it. They will be in my prayers as you also will be.